Most Active Stories
- Jim Costa Calls On Governor Brown To Issue Drought Declaration For California
- Fighting Fire With Fire, The Future Of The Rim Fire Burn Area
- Launching 11-Day Action, Advocates Urge McCarthy To Pass Immigration Reform
- Feds Study Expanding San Luis Reservoir
- Cold Snap Could Be A One-Two Punch To Valley Citrus Industry
Valley Public Radio Staff
Quality of Life
Tue April 12, 2011
On Quality of Life: Mark Arax; Tax Day
Segments 1 & 2: Mark Arax - Journalist and author Mark Arax has spent much of his career exposing the dark secrets of life in the Central Valley, from corrupt politicians to secretive land barons. A former senior writer with the LA Times, Arax joins us on this edition of Valley Public Radio’s Quality of Life, to talk about his books, the Valley, and the troubled Fresno Unified School District. The district’s Superintendent Michael Hanson has recently been the subject of media scrutiny after revelations that Hansen has been cited for numerous speeding tickets and for driving with an expired license. In our interview, Arax levels further accusations against Hanson, and claims FUSD is “arguably the most broken” school system in the state.
Segment 3: Tax Day - In our final segment, guest Tom Bell, a certified public accountant and partner in the accountancy firm Moore Grider & Company, joins us to talk about taxes and more. Why is tax day (April 18) “late” this year and what are some of the most common mistakes people make on their taxes? We pose those questions and more in this segment on Quality of Life.