Most Active Stories
- Storms And Muddy Delta Water Lead To Voluntary Pumping Cutback
- Joe Mathews: Forget Anaheim, Bring Disneyland To Fresno
- Study Says California Drought Caused By Natural Climate Patterns
- Infill Is Key To Fresno's New General Plan, But It's Also Controversial
- Strong Storms May Not Improve California Water Supply Much
Valley Public Radio Staff
Thu July 24, 2014
Former NFL Coach's Comment On Michael Sam Stirs Controversy
Originally published on Thu July 24, 2014 11:39 am
NFL training camps are opening and many eyes are on Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted by a pro team. He was picked by the St. Louis Rams, and recent comments by former NFL coach Tony Dungy have created some controversy.
Dungy told The Tampa Tribune he would not have drafted Sam, not because he’s gay, but because he “wouldn’t want to deal with all of it. It's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.”
Here & Now sports analyst Mike Pesca discusses the comment and reaction with hosts Meghna Chakrabarti and Jeremy Hobson.
- Mike Pesca, Here & Now sports analyst and host of Slate's daily podcast The Gist. He tweets @pescami.