Most Active Stories
- Jim Costa Calls On Governor Brown To Issue Drought Declaration For California
- San Joaquin Valley Craft Distillers Ride National Trend
- Fighting Fire With Fire, The Future Of The Rim Fire Burn Area
- Launching 11-Day Action, Advocates Urge McCarthy To Pass Immigration Reform
- Fresno Chef Combines Turkey And Brisket For A Thanksgivukkah Feast
Valley Public Radio Staff
Mon August 20, 2012
Being Good Students In Sherman, Texas
Before coming to Austin College, I hosted some bake sales and donated the proceeds to make a difference. Only after joining the student-led Service Station did I realize: To serve others, all I need is my heart.
The Service Station is the campus hub of organized service activities — including Alternative Spring Break, Great Day of Service, the environmentally focused GreenServe, as well as individual projects. Last year students logged more than 13,000 hours of service.
For me, the joy of a child's smile during a community educational program is worth an early alarm on a Saturday morning.
Akshara Vivekananthan is majoring in communication studies and psychology. The local station is KERA.