Most Active Stories
- New Google Tool Shows Remarkable Timelapse of Fresno Growth Since 1984
- New Approach To Classroom Discipline Pays Off at Fresno's Yosemite Middle School
- Paso Robles Winemaker Battles Valley Fever
- Fresno To Get High-End, High-Rise Downtown Restaurant?
- Cases Of Mysterious Valley Fever Rise In American Southwest
Valley Public Radio Staff
Mon August 20, 2012
Behind Mental Health Stigmas In Black Communities
Originally published on Mon August 20, 2012 11:30 am
Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.'s recent diagnosis of bipolar disorder has focused attention on the shame that sometimes accompanies mental health diagnoses in the African-American community. Psychiatrist William Lawson joins NPR's John Donvan to discuss why such a stigma exists.