Most Active Stories
- Jim Costa Calls On Governor Brown To Issue Drought Declaration For California
- Fighting Fire With Fire, The Future Of The Rim Fire Burn Area
- Launching 11-Day Action, Advocates Urge McCarthy To Pass Immigration Reform
- Feds Study Expanding San Luis Reservoir
- Cold Snap Could Be A One-Two Punch To Valley Citrus Industry
Valley Public Radio Staff
Tue November 13, 2012
VIDEO: Venice Floods, But It Doesn't Stop The Tourists
Originally published on Mon November 12, 2012 12:10 pm
In a city so used to flooding, life doesn't stop when the water's knee-deep.
That's why the wires have been moving images of tourists still wading through Venice's picturesque streets. In one picture, a pair of tourists are seen receiving their order in a flooded restaurant.
Now, as the Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang reports, this is no ordinary flood, or acqua alta. Seventy-percent of central Venice is flooded and this is the "sixth-highest level since 1872 as strong winds funneled water up the Adriatic Sea."
This video from the Associated Press tells the story: