Most Active Stories
- Money, Greed and Power Keep Chukchansi Casino Closed, Tribe Still Divided
- Drought: Tulare County Is “Blazing The Trail For The Rest Of California”
- Despite Smart & Final Setback, Swearengin Says Blackstone Vision Remains Sound
- An Average Of 15,000 Fresno Homes Breaking Lawn Water Rules
- Fresno's Anti-Blight Ordinance Passes First Test
Valley Public Radio Staff
Thu July 17, 2014
QUIZ: Which Of These State Fair Foods Are Faux?
Originally published on Fri July 18, 2014 4:54 pm
It is the season of state fairs, when you may have a chance to expand your palate or test your gag reflex at the concession stands. (Once you're stuffed, maybe you'll get to admire a butter sculpture.)
If it can be dipped in batter or put on a stick, someone is probably trying to sell it on a fairground. The Iowa State Fair boasts "60 delectable items available on-a-stick," including some new additions for 2014: chocolate-covered chunky bacon maple nougat on-a-stick and tater dog on-a-stick.
The combinations seem to get more elaborate and outrageous every year.
And so, the team at All Things Considered was inspired to put its "state fair food sense" to the test. Would our gut instincts help us distinguish between what's actually being served and some faux fair foods?
Play along here on The Salt!