Most Active Stories
- LGBT Center In Merced Told To Take Down Rainbow Flag
- New Nature Preserve To Open in Tulare County
- In Memory Of Edward Palacios, Valley Public Radio Board Chair
- California Preparing For Undocumented Driver Licenses
- On Valley Edition: Mexican Consul, Lawyer Discuss Local Impact Of Obama's Executive Action
Valley Public Radio Staff
Thu October 11, 2012
Panda Cub's Death Due To 'Lung And Liver Damage'
Originally published on Thu October 11, 2012 12:27 pm
According to the results of a necropsy, officials say, "her lungs were poorly developed and likely caused her to have insufficient oxygen, which would be consistent with the changes in the liver." The cub was only about a week old.
As for Mei Xiang, the mother, officials add that:
"We are happy to report that Mei is almost completely back to her old self! Her hormones have returned to normal levels, as has her behavior. Mei is choosing to go outside in the mornings. In the afternoons she can usually be found napping on her indoor rockwork. Mei's appetite has also returned, and she is eating almost all of her bamboo and all of her leaf eater biscuits and produce."