Most Active Stories
- Money, Greed and Power Keep Chukchansi Casino Closed, Tribe Still Divided
- Fulton Mall Project To Become Reality?
- Peter Gleick: California Reservoirs at the "Bottom Of The Barrel"
- The Family Peach Farm That Became A Symbol Of The Food Revolution
- Drought: Rafting Season Cancelled For Many In Kern County
Valley Public Radio Staff
Thu June 12, 2014
One Day, World Cup May Be Out Of This World
Originally published on Thu June 12, 2014 4:41 am
DAVID GREENE, BYLINE: Good morning. I'm David Greene. Finally, soccer's World Cup begins today in Brazil. But the head of FIFA, the organization running the tournament, has loftier goals. At a speech yesterday, Sepp Blatter said, quote, "we shall wonder if one day our game is played on other planets." Right, an Intergalactic Cup. Recently, Blatter's been grilled by the media over allegations that Qatar won the rights to host a future World Cup through bribery. Maybe Blatter's hoping the Martian Press Corps is more forgiving. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.