Most Active Stories
- New Google Tool Shows Remarkable Timelapse of Fresno Growth Since 1984
- Paso Robles Winemaker Battles Valley Fever
- New Approach To Classroom Discipline Pays Off at Fresno's Yosemite Middle School
- Fresno To Get High-End, High-Rise Downtown Restaurant?
- Cases Of Mysterious Valley Fever Rise In American Southwest
Valley Public Radio Staff
It's All Politics
Thu February 14, 2013
Obama's Road Trip To Conclude With Florida Break
Originally published on Thu February 14, 2013 12:41 pm
President Obama will cap off a busy week of politicking with some R&R in Florida.
Obama plans to travel to the West Palm Beach area for what his spokesman called "some well-deserved downtime."
"He's going to spend Presidents Day weekend relaxing with some friends," said White House spokesman Josh Earnest. "There's no work on the schedule."
The getaway follows three days of campaign-style events building on the president's State of the Union address Tuesday night. Obama visited North Carolina on Wednesday to promote manufacturing. He spoke about preschool in Georgia on Thursday. And Friday, he'll hold an event in his hometown of Chicago.
In contrast, there are no public events on the schedule in Florida, although Earnest says the president won't be completely idle.
Obama "will fulfill his responsibilities as president even while he's getting some well-deserved downtime," Earnest said. "I don't think the American people will begrudge him that."