Most Active Stories
- Jim Costa Calls On Governor Brown To Issue Drought Declaration For California
- Fighting Fire With Fire, The Future Of The Rim Fire Burn Area
- Kettleman City Resident Uneasy With Landfill's Connection To Clean Water Plan
- Launching 11-Day Action, Advocates Urge McCarthy To Pass Immigration Reform
- Earlimart Pesticide Warrior Honored For Advocacy
Valley Public Radio Staff
Thu February 7, 2013
Millions Of Chinese To Travel For Chinese New Year
Originally published on Thu February 7, 2013 12:07 pm
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Greene.
We've heard that necessity breeds invention. Well, so does discomfort. This weekend, 200 million Chinese are traveling home for the Chinese New Year. And for some this means entire days on standing room only trains.
One gadget being sold to travelers is a padded metal pole. It's to lean your head on so you don't fall over when you doze off. Or how about a luggage cart that doubles as a seat, with cup holders? Many people, though, are going old school with a simple upside down bucket.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.