Most Active Stories
- Jim Costa Calls On Governor Brown To Issue Drought Declaration For California
- Fighting Fire With Fire, The Future Of The Rim Fire Burn Area
- Kettleman City Resident Uneasy With Landfill's Connection To Clean Water Plan
- Launching 11-Day Action, Advocates Urge McCarthy To Pass Immigration Reform
- Earlimart Pesticide Warrior Honored For Advocacy
Valley Public Radio Staff
Sun September 2, 2012
Fresno State Student Dead, Frat Suspended After Party, Drinking
Fresno State's Theta Chi fraternity has been suspended following the death of an 18 year old student who spent a night drinking at a fraternity party.
The university says that freshman fraternity pledge Philip Dhanens of Bakersfield died at an area hospital on Sunday. He had accepted an invitation to join the fraternity earlier in the week.
The university says it learned of the incident Saturday morning. The Fresno Police Department is investigating the death. The official cause of death is not yet know.
Fresno State President John Welty released the following statement about the incident on Sunday:
"Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Philip at this incredibly sad time. We are heartbroken at the loss of this young man who had just joined our university community and had a life of promise ahead."
In addition to Fresno State's suspension of the fraternity, the national Theta Chi organization has also suspended the Fresno chapter.
The university suspension will prohibit Theta Chi from participating in university sanctioned on-campus activities.
In 2006, Fresno State suspended the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity for five years after the death of 19 year old former student Danny Daniels.