Most Active Stories
- Finally, A Public Bus System From Fresno To Yosemite
- Money, Greed and Power Keep Chukchansi Casino Closed, Tribe Still Divided
- Working On The Railroad: High-Speed Rail Sparks New Career Interest
- Fresno Fire Department Wants Reimbursement Guarantee When Fighting Forest Fires
- Taps Run Dry in Fairmead, “Watch, I Get Nothing”
Valley Public Radio Staff
Health Care Reform
Fri December 20, 2013
First Covered California Enrollment Deadline is December 23
There aren’t many days left to sign up for health insurance through Covered California if you want coverage to start next month. Health Care Reporter Pauline Bartolone has more from Sacramento.
The deadline to apply for coverage and pick a health plan is Monday December 23rd. Payment is not due until January 6th.
Covered California says it expects a surge of applications in the coming days. Anthony Wright of the consumer advocacy group Health Access says there are a number of options if you’re faced with long wait times or technical problems.
“Our advice to folks is: To use one of the many ways that people can use to sign up for coverage, either online, on the phone, or working with someone in person. All of those options are available,” says Wright.
This year, uninsured people have until March 31st to sign up and avoid the Affordable Care Act’s tax penalty for not having insurance. Covered California call centers will be open throughout the weekend.