Most Active Stories
- Jim Costa Calls On Governor Brown To Issue Drought Declaration For California
- Fighting Fire With Fire, The Future Of The Rim Fire Burn Area
- Kettleman City Resident Uneasy With Landfill's Connection To Clean Water Plan
- Launching 11-Day Action, Advocates Urge McCarthy To Pass Immigration Reform
- Porterville Developmental Center Beating Highlights Accountability Failures
Valley Public Radio Staff
High Speed Rail
Thu September 20, 2012
Federal Government Approves High Speed Rail Construction Plans
The federal agency that oversees the nation's railroad system has officially approved plans for the first leg of California's controversial high speed rail system.
The Federal Railroad Administration's approval on Wednesday was a necessary step to allow construction to begin early next year on the Fresno to Merced component of the system.
The approval by the FRA will allow the California High Speed Rail Authority to proceed with purchasing right-of-way from landowners for the system.