Most Active Stories
- Storms And Muddy Delta Water Lead To Voluntary Pumping Cutback
- Joe Mathews: Forget Anaheim, Bring Disneyland To Fresno
- Study Says California Drought Caused By Natural Climate Patterns
- Infill Is Key To Fresno's New General Plan, But It's Also Controversial
- Strong Storms May Not Improve California Water Supply Much
Valley Public Radio Staff
Fri November 30, 2012
Episode 364: Should We Kill The Dollar Bill?
Originally published on Fri November 30, 2012 4:28 pm
Legislation in Congress would get rid of dollar bills and replace them with coins. Proponents say coins are easier to use and save the country money in the long run. The bill people say none of this is true.
Should we kill the dollar bill?
On today's show we go deep into the nature of money itself, and we find a clear answer to this question.
We haul in a giant box of coins, talk to the guy who actually makes dollar bills, and watch a Senator try to use a vending machine.
See our story, Should We Kill The Dollar Bill?. Read the GAO report on replacing the dollar bill with dollar coins, and see the update to the report. And see the report Canada wrote before it got rid of its $1 bill.