Most Active Stories
- Wildlife Agencies See Near Collapse Of 2014 Salmon Species
- Is Kern County The Next Frontier For Aerospace Innovation?
- California Air Regulators Eye Methane Emissions From Oil, Ag
- Central Valley Anti-Union Farm Workers Protest In Sacramento
- Mary Nichols, California's Environmental "Rock Star" on Valley Edition
Valley Public Radio Staff
Mon July 14, 2014
DJ Sessions: Golden Summer Oldies
Today we’re listening to summer oldies with DJ Mike Haile, more commonly known by his DJ moniker “Mike in the Morning,” at WHMS in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois. Here & Now’s Jeremy Hobson used to listen to him when he was growing up in the area.
Haile says “Summertime” by Billy Stewart is his all-time favorite summer song, but there are so many others, including “That Sunday, That Summer” by Nat King Cole, “Summer In The City” by Lovin’ Spoonfull” and the Beach Boys’ “All Summer Long.” Haile joins us for a conversation about songs of the season and why they resonate.
Note: We now have a Spotify playlist for our weekly DJ Sessions segment. The playlist will be updated each week with new songs. Spotify is free to use, but requires a login.
Music From The Show
Billy Stewart, “Summertime”
Nat King Cole, “That Sunday, That Summer”
The Lovin’ Spoonful, “Summer In The City”
Mungo Jerry, “In the Summertime”
Beach Boys, “All Summer Long”
Looking Glass, “Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)
- Mike Haile, general manager and DJ at WHMS in Champaign-Urbana, Ill. He is more commonly known as “Mike in the Morning”