Most Active Stories
- City of Fresno Envisions New Downtown Developments Near Chukchansi Park
- In Lemoore, Drought Poses A Threat To Navy Jets
- 'Grapes Of Wrath' Is 75, But Its Depictions Of Poverty Are Timeless
- New Drought Fund To Support Those Most In Need
- 'Bumpy' California Enrollment Period Ends With Over 3 Million Health Care Sign-Ups
Valley Public Radio Staff
Thu July 11, 2013
China Unveils Massive Building — With Fake Beach, Fake Sun
Originally published on Thu July 11, 2013 1:07 pm
The Chinese are calling the New Century Global Center, which opened in late June in Chengdu, the world's largest stand-alone structure.
It isn't the world's tallest building — that honor belongs to Dubai's Burj Khalifa; nor is it the largest — that's the Boeing Everett Factory in Everett, Wash. What the New Century Global Center appears to be is the world's biggest building by floor space. Just how big is it?
Well, inside it you can fit ...
... 20 of these
four of these ...
and three of these ...
Now, if the name Chengdu, China, sounds familiar, it's probably because you recall it as the scene of the devastating earthquake in 2008, which killed nearly 70,000 people. Much of that area has been rebuilt in the five years after the quake — with mixed results.