Most Active Stories
- Storms And Muddy Delta Water Lead To Voluntary Pumping Cutback
- Joe Mathews: Forget Anaheim, Bring Disneyland To Fresno
- Study Says California Drought Caused By Natural Climate Patterns
- Infill Is Key To Fresno's New General Plan, But It's Also Controversial
- Strong Storms May Not Improve California Water Supply Much
Valley Public Radio Staff
Tue September 11, 2012
Chicago Mayor Emanuel Does Not Like Nickelback, Spokesperson Says
Originally published on Tue September 11, 2012 2:53 pm
The strike going on in Chicago is serious: 350,000 students are locked out and we brought you the news in a post from this morning.
We'll get back to real news in a little. First, here's a bit of levity:
There is a picture from the picket lines on Monday that had Daniel Strauss, who tweeted it, saying, "Civility has disappeared in Chicago Teachers Union protests."
The sign was written in all caps: "RAHM EMANUEL LIKES NICKELBACK."
Nickelback, if you're not of that persuasion, is a popular Canadian rock band, which is not entirely unfamiliar with this kind of controversy. Back in 2011, Detroit Lions fans actually started a petition to have the band removed from a half-time show.
But, alas, this protest sign — and pop culture slur — would be rated "false" if checked out by Politifact. The mayor's spokesperson responded with one word when the Chicago Redeye asked if Emanuel liked Nickelback: "No."