Most Active Stories
- Fresno Chef Gets New Start With High Speed Rail
- New Assembly Minority Leader Talks Of 'Rebranding' California GOP
- As Drought Worsens, Fresno Turns Attention To Wastewater
- Commentary: Just How Much Does California Want To Do For The San Joaquin Valley?
- Report: Groundwater Management Plans Need Significant Improvement
Valley Public Radio Staff
Thu September 6, 2012
A Bombing In Syria Wipes Out A Family, But A Baby Survives
The northern Syrian city of Aleppo has been the site of the bloodiest recent fighting in that country's brutal war, and we're still getting only glimpses of the violence.
But GlobalPost has a striking video of a devastating bombing that killed an entire family — except for a 1-year-old boy who survived without any serious injuries.
The video speaks for itself and needs only the briefest explanation.
A helicopter air strike pummeled the three-story apartment building, according to reporter Tracey Shelton. Rescuers then sifted through the rubble by hand, but it appeared that everyone in one family had been killed.
But after six hours of searching, rescuers found Hassan, a one-year-old boy who was "discovered unscathed, still cradled [in his mother's] lifeless arms," Shelton reports.