Most Active Stories
- Fresno County Seeks to Eliminate Health Safety Net for the Undocumented
- Centennial Corridor Freeway Project Divides Bakersfield, Neighborhood
- Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin Announces State Controller Run
- Caltrans Picks Preferred Route For Centennial Corridor Freeway in Bakersfield
- In California, Researchers Uncertain If Drought Will Increase Valley Fever Risk
Valley Public Radio Staff
Thu June 6, 2013
Ancient Reptile Named After 'Lizard King' Jim Morrison
LINDA WERTHEIMER, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Linda Wertheimer.
The Doors' front man, Jim Morrison, was nicknamed The Lizard King. This week researchers from the University of Iowa identified a new species of reptilian royalty, the six-foot long Barbaturex morrisoni. Though the species is named after the 20th century rock star, it lived in the jungles of Southeast Asia 40 million years ago, a gentle creature who ate only plants.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.