Most Active Stories
- City of Fresno Envisions New Downtown Developments Near Chukchansi Park
- In Lemoore, Drought Poses A Threat To Navy Jets
- 'Grapes Of Wrath' Is 75, But Its Depictions Of Poverty Are Timeless
- New Drought Fund To Support Those Most In Need
- 'Bumpy' California Enrollment Period Ends With Over 3 Million Health Care Sign-Ups
Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Valley Public Radio Staff
Kevin Whitehead is the jazz critic for NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross.
Whitehead's articles on jazz and improvised music have appeared in such publications as Point of Departure, the Chicago Sun-Times, Village Voice, Down Beat, and the Dutch daily de Volkskrant.
He is the author of Why Jazz: A Concise Guide (2010), New Dutch Swing (1998), and (with photographer Ton Mijs) Instant Composers Pool Orchestra: You Have to See It (2011).
His essays have appeared in numerous anthologies including Da Capo Best Music Writing 2006, Discover Jazz and Traveling the Spaceways: Sun Ra, the Astro-Black and Other Solar Myths.
Whitehead has taught at Towson University, the University of Kansas and Goucher College. He lives near Baltimore.